Saturday, March 30, 2013

Heralds of Spring


It's here.  Spring has arrived!  And perhaps best of all, we've had two (count 'em, two) days of sunshine in which to enjoy the blooming bulbs, shrubs and trees.


I have big pots on my deck and each year I plant them with daffodils and tulips.  The daffs are in their full glory right now and the tulips are preparing to take over in a week to ten days or so.  I love the exuberance of these reliable spring bloomers.





Grape hyacinths are another favorite of mine.  They are such a bright, happy blue.





This is the lone tulip that is blooming now.  Many more will follow.



One of the flowering cherry trees in the front yard is blooming now.  It's pretty, but the later bloomer is my favorite.  I don't know why, exactly, but is just seems more, somehow.


This gorgeous pot of primroses was a birthday gift from a dear friend.  It just keeps putting out flowers and color.


My hellebores are still going strong.  They are the first perennial in my garden to bloom each year, usually the second week in January.


And who can resist the vibrancy of flowering quince, made even more astounding by the flowers popping open on (mostly) bare wood stems.  I have a large quince in the mixed hedge that separates my front garden from the property to the west.  It always brightens up the whole front of the yard.


The bridal veil shrub is just beginning to flower.  Soon it will be a solid mass of these teeny tiny white five petaled stars.  It, too, is in the mixed hedge.  In full bloom it is a thing of wonder.


How is spring progressing at your house, Dear Reader?

1 comment:

diane b said...

You sure have a blaze of beautiful spring colour in your pots and garden. I love the white outline of the petals in the first photo.