Sunday, June 01, 2014

It Feels Like Summer!


It's the 1st of June and, remarkably, the sun is shining and the temperature is balmy and it's my perfect idea of a summer day.  The garden is a total riot of color and bloom.  Mrs. Anna Hummer is still sitting on her nest, still glaring at me every time I stand at the window and peer out at her in the Portuguese Laurel.  There's a breeze.  To top it all off, it's Sunday!


Even though it's the weekend, I have things I should be doing.  I should be ironing.  I should be working on my two canvases for my online painting course.  I should be unloading the dishwasher and washing the kitchen floor and all that sort of thing.  What I did was hang out on the front lawn and do bad sketches and worse water coloring jobs of my glorious poppies.  And I don't care a hoot if you think them amateurish or silly or anything.  I got to hang out, in the sun (in the Seattle area, fer Heaven's sake!) on the first day of June with my poppies.  That's a good enough reason for me to do bad sketches and worse watercolors of those suspect sketches.


The way the sunlight glows through a poppy petal is pure magic.  It's summer in a glow and a color and it just emits joy.


Yesterday, at the local Farmers' Market, local veggies were abundant.  And beautiful.




I bought a couple of bunches of these baby Walla Walla Sweet onions and a bunch of garlic chives and asparagus.  I made a pot of delicious soup.  And homemade creme fraiche to go on top, with garlic chive blossoms and asparagus tips.  It is gooooooood.

Photo by Don Whitebread
Some little lady who is very near and dear to my heart turned THREE.  Oh, it was a glorious event.  There were cupcakes and jumpy houses and the whole shebang was a Yo Gabba Gabba themed thrill. And there were cupcakes!  (And I didn't get to go....sadly.  But my darling brother-in-law, Don Whitebread, sent me photos!)


Even my new solar powered garden lanterns are working like a dream and cast a soft, mysterious light throughout the garden.  This one is hanging in a New Moon Japanese maple and it is especially delightful with the maple leaves surrounding it.

Life is good.

1 comment:

john said...

Your life is full. Love the Georgia O'Keeffe feel of your flowers. What great lanterns!