Friday, May 17, 2013

Inspired by Others to Try



I have been so inspired by viewing blogs where people paint and sketch and then post their work for others to see.  It's hard---scary---to do that.  I have been especially impressed by MAM and her sister, who have just returned from a trip to Italy.  They have been sharing the sketching they did in their travel journals and I get such a thrill out of seeing what they did, how they did it and picking up all the little details that you get when you sit and quiet yourself and sketch.  It is such a great way to really experience something, be it an object, building, person, action or whatever it is that catches your eye.  By taking the time to sketch something you must focus and be in the moment.  I don't do that enough an I'm trying to pay more attention to what is right in front of me, to really see.

At lunch today I took a few minutes and sketched the apple I was enjoying with a hunk of cheese.  This evening I added a little watercolor to the sketch.  It's not much more than the visual equivalent of a note to self, but while I was sketching I was really looking and I enjoyed the process.  I think that's enough.  In the spirit of sharing, as my inspirational bloggers have been doing, I am trying to be brave and share.

Enjoy the weekend!

3 comments:

carol said...

Love your apple!

Leslie said...

I think your apple looks great! As someone with pretty much no drawing/painting skills, I also enjoy blogs where there's lot of it. Keep it up.

Leslie said...

I think your apple looks great! As someone with pretty much no drawing/painting skills, I also enjoy blogs where there's lot of it. Keep it up.