Sunday, July 06, 2008

Independence Day Parade


I attended the Independence Day Parade in Arlington, Washington. Arlington is a small town located in Snohomish County, north of Everett. I feel right at home in Arlington as it reminds me of the small town where I grew up (Sumner, Washington). I haven't been to an Independence Day parade for several years and I really enjoyed this one. It started on the stroke of five and ended just at six o'clock, and within that hour were some wonderful moments of small town American life that, I am sure, were played out all over the US on this July 4th. I'm going to share a few of mine with you.
Arlington boasts of a really good hardware store and one of my favorite outings on a Saturday at the cabin is to go into town and check out the aisles at the store, which seem to have everything you can think of and some you would never would. As evidenced by the following photo, they even have a great old truck! And then there was the OxyClean Man! I've seen him before, in local parades, and he's very funny. His favorite line is, "Oh! A camera! I liiiiiike that!"
And then there is the The Great Stilly Duck Dash. Every year the Rotary Club of Arlington sells tickets and the proceeds support a number of worthy causes....scholarships and youth projects. There are a number of rubber ducks, all with a number, and they are launched into the Stillaguamish River near Lincoln Park and then cross the finish line at Haller Park downstream. There are some serious money prizes, but mostly it's just fun to be a part of the Duck Dash. Good cause and good fun!
And the rainbow caterpillar went by, with many striped legs....
I love farm machinery! Tractors are about the best part of the Arlington parade. Lots and lots and lots of tractors....John Deere tractors and International Harvester tractors and others whose names I've already forgotten. Beautiful tractors that make grinding noises when the gears are changed and rumble with diesel engines revving....The lady on the tractor below looks very noble and "Rosie the Riveter" to me. I love her flag bedecked tractor and her attitude.
John Deere green.....




No comments: