Thursday, July 11, 2013

Crazy Covers for Pattern Books


I am in the midst of taking Mary Ann Moss' online class, SEWN.  It is so much fun.  In the first place, I have been able---NO, not just able, but encouraged strongly!---to make a mess!  To play!  Just have fun.

Boy, can I make a mess.


First I got to sit and paint patterns.  Whatever I wanted.  However I wanted.  And I did and oh, did I have fun.  The next thing asked of me was to pick out a shape that I wanted to use to cover the cover of a pattern book with, and then cut out a lot of the chosen shapes to sew onto a cover.  I used up a bunch of watercolor scraps and some other random paper I had hanging around, and just put together two little booklets with a pamphlet stitch.


I had scraps of paper here, and glue sticks there, and scissors always across the table from where I was working....remember the big mess?  It got bigger.


But when I got done, and I had sewed all the cut-out shapes onto the booklet covers, I ended up with some fine, fun little numbers in which I will paint more patterns!


My sewing skills are very lacking and I am very much a guerrilla seamstress, as Mary Ann puts it.  It might not be pretty, but it gets the job done.  And there is no pressure, which of course = fun!


I am now going to go clean up my mess.  And then, paint some more patterns.

Did I mention how much fun all this is?

17 comments:

Clarissa Callesen said...

This looks like so much fun and I love all the bright colors and patterns together.

diane b said...

It is refreshing to hear about someone having so much fun. Way to go! Isn't it difficult to sew paper?11

Jan said...

Your covers are so colorful. Very inviting to play in. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. This class is a great way to be introduced to people with like interests - in this case fun with paint and paper and stitching!

deb did it said...

so much fun...blast of colors just like I love ! This class is so much fun, huh ?

deb did it said...

love everything here...your colors and design make me smile ! This course is s fun huh?

deb did it said...

so much to say but the security question kicks me off each time.
love love love your work...this is such a fun course , huh ?

deb did it said...

i cant get in here to comment...i love your work...the security code is kicking my ass

Linda W said...

Isn't it fun making a mess? SEWN is great, and so is your cover.

Say It In Color said...

These are great!!! Love the long triangle shape!! and your colors are so happy!! DEB, you crack me up with the security thing...I hate those too....some are really funny words to have to type in too....but YOU DID GET IN!! Congrats....and a great mess on the table here...plus your sewing is great looking!! Love the red!!

Jill said...

Dig that cover! Isn't that shape amazing?? I may have to try one sideways...

Unknown said...

Yelling with excitement over here about how much I love your colorful covers!!! Nice work!

Ruth said...

So much fun to see a cover made with the long triangles!

john said...

Well, I must say I feel really special since I am now the proud owner of one of Michele's SEWN books. What a nice surprise yesterday at our monthly Starbuck's get-together! Thanks so much! I am looking at it right now. Perfectly fun!

My name is Erika. said...

Great cover.I love the mix of so many styles.Can tell you enjoyed this project just because it gives off so much joy.

Mary Ann said...

i wanna go to your monthly starbuckles meeting!

Unknown said...

looks great...Love your book, great colors and patterns...I am having so much fun in the class as well.....

magpie said...

love love love. but: you call that a MESS? I could show you a mess...