Tuesday, March 18, 2008

From Endless Summer to the Beginnings of Spring

After traveling for most of Saturday and getting back home about 2:30 AM on Sunday morning, it came as somewhat of a shock to get up and see that spring had been creeping into Edmonds while I was away in Florida, the land of endless summer (and bougainvillea). Right out my front window is an ornamental cherry tree in full, glorious bloom. The scent of all those blossoms is intoxicating. The daffodils are blooming, the hellebore in the front are in full bloom, the tulip leaves are well above ground and the crocus have already died back to sleep for another eleven months before exploding into riotous color again. Everywhere I look, something is leafing out or blooming. My bonsai larch is showing tiny little green needles. The flowering quince is in full bloom in the side yard. Primroses are all electric with bright colors. Even the euphorbia is almost ready to bloom. I love the promise of early spring, before the bugs and slugs and weeds. Right now, everything is perfect. Right now I can believe in the gardener's eternal spring dream----this year I'll stay ahead of the garden chores, this year I will fertilize when I should and prune when I should, this year I'll water efficiently and this year I will consistently deadhead, this year I'll take care of those pesky slugs, this year!
Well, a girl can dream, can't she?

No comments: