Sunday, August 24, 2008

ZNE ConvenZioNE

I am in Pleasanton, California for the ZNE ConvenZioNE, and I'm having a ball. ZNE is a mixed media artists' group to which I belong, and this past weekend has been the first convenZioNE. I can't believe how well it all came off as I know how hard it is to make something like this work at all, let alone work so very, very well. My hat is off to Chel (Chelise Stroud Hery), our fearless "Queen of ZNE" for making this dream of hers into a wonderful, exciting reality for so many people.

Pleasanton turns out to really be Pleasant Town! It's charming and full of great restaurants, wonderful little shops, art galleries, tree-lined streets, flower baskets brimming with late summer color everywhere and very nice people. It seems like a quintessential small American town (in all the good ways!). The only downside is that it's hot! Too hot for me!During our stay an old car meet was in progress and we saw some amazing hot rods and restored old cars. My only complaint was that they were hogging all the good parking places at both my hotel and in the downtown area! (Yes, whine, whine, whine...that's me!)
Dean's Cafe is home to the world's largest omelet menu. There must be well over 250 different omelet choices on their menu. I had the little smoky sausage with avocado and can vouch for their good food! It's a must stop on any visit to Pleasaanton.And Baci for lunch or dinner was divine. Beautiful surroundings and amazing food. Try the berry salad with feta. Friday evening I was finally able to see the documentary 1000 Journals. The film is by Andrea Kreuzhage and it's wonderful. In 2006 I was filmed by Andrea about ArtFest, the 1000 Journals Project and journaling and such as I had not worked in one of the journals at that time. I found the whole being filmed process awful and I was horrible. (I am not being modest, only honest. I sucked!) Happily, I didn't make it into the film, but my town did as Andrea used some film of the ferry to Kingston. It was lovely to see Andrea again and she surprised the socks off my by not only remembering my name, but where I lived. She must have filmed thousands of people for the film and she either has the best memory of anyone I have ever met or I really was that horrible on film and I scarred her for life with my inane babblings and my troll-like visage! Whatever it was, she is a warm and charming woman and it was a real pleasure to see her again.
Above is pictured one of the 1000 journals that Andrea brought along to the film screening. I think it was #576.


I took a class from DJ Pettitt on Saturday that was amazing. We did collage on fabric and I now have a piece that will be used to make a book cover. I can hardly wait to make back cover using DJ's techniques and then put the book together. I am happy with my work and had an absolute ball in class. If you ever get a chance to take one of DJ's classes, don't hesitate. She's a wonderful teacher, funny, fun and nice.

I have had the best time at the ZNE ConvenZioNE. There will be another next April.....hmmmmm......and let's give Chel a 21 gun salute for the wonderful weekend she created for one and all.


PS I miss you, Tiffany, my new friend. You were one of the very best parts of the whole shebang. Take care and keep in touch.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like the Zine convention was so much fun, I am reading so many blog entries. How do you measure it up against Artfest?