Saturday, September 10, 2011

Indian Summer


Finally, summer has arrived in the Pacific Northwest.  We've had a run, maybe ten in a row, of days over 80 degrees.  The sun is shining, the skies are a beautiful clear blue, the late summer flowers are  beautiful and abundant and life is good.


I spent a little time at the Edmonds Summer Market this morning.  It's the last market I'll be able to attend this year as I am off to Mexico for two weeks next Friday and will miss the remaining two markets of the 2011 season.  I'm sure there will be wonderful produce and flowers in San Miguel, but I am feeling a little sad at not being home for the last of our local markets.


Everything is lush and beautiful.  Everything makes me hungry!  I made pickled beets a week ago with wonderful golden beets.  I am still enjoying them, so I passed on the beets today.  I did get some onions to pickle and use in salads for the next few days.


And I bought two half flats of blackberries and strawberries and made a dozen jars of sugar-free mixed berry jam.  I have never made sugar-free jam before and while it is not as over-the-top-yummy as the full sugar variety, the sugar-free kind is allowed in my diet.  And it sure is better than no jam at all!  Truthfully, is isn't bad---especially when smeared on a slice of deep, dark pumpernickel, that I also picked up at the market.

No comments: